Monday, March 04, 2024

Woodlands


I was out and about locally on Friday and much of Saturday. On Friday evening there was an Artsreach event at the village hall which went down very well. Harbottle and Jonas are from south Devon and play folk music across a range of subjects. It was well attended, although less so than the previous occasion which sold out. 

I also spent quite a bit of time walking, running and cycling about the neighbourhood, reaching my weekly targets for each for only the second time in 2024. It was good to get it all done ahead of Sunday which would see me away for the day. 

It also prompted me to take a bit more notice of my surroundings as I rode the bike with signs of spring now all about. There were some real highlights, one of which was riding alongside a goldfinch which seemed to be doing the same speed as me, around 13mph, and keeping in a straight line. It can only have been a few seconds but it was magical having this small bird beside me. There was a buzzard mewing to my right and flapping vigorously to gain height and the two donkeys opposite Cutlers were close to the roadside hedge. I also took a moment to stop and marvel at the Remedy Oak which is becoming more and more hollowed out. It is held in place, for now, by a metal tether which prevents it toppling over for good. How long it will keep upright is anyone's guess but it can't be long, surely.

No comments:

W allotment

I managed a good few hours at the bigger allotment yesterday which resulted in my preparing the final beds, the big one in particular, for p...