Monday, March 25, 2024

WM allotment March 24th



It was touch and go whether I went to the allotment after a busy morning but I am very glad I made it, especially with the weather being so lovely, at last! There are a few leeks left in from last year but they are pretty small and won't come to much. However, the garlic and broad beans from the autumn look healthy and I weeded them too, so hopefully they will continue to make good progress.

There are a few pots in the conservatory that have been doing well for a several weeks and it was about time to give them a chance in the wild. I have put some netting over the top of them, as much to keep the wind off a little as anything, and we have subsequently had a fair bit of rain to help them bed in. 

Lettuce, spinach, coriander, parsley and rocket have all gone in and I have planted some shallots and onion sets too. In fact, this allotment is very easy to maintain with all bar one of the beds ready for use. The one that isn't is given over to strawberries and needs a thorough weeding which ought not to take too long. I'm just not certain it will be that productive though. The plants from last year were not great at all, so I may end up ripping them all out yet. 

The other main job will be sorting out the pathways which also need weeding and maybe a bit of wood chip added to suppress further growth. Otherwise, just get on with the planting out and tending the beds.

Wimborne is a very different proposition and that will take my attention for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Lyme Regis trip

Alison's birthday celebrations continued with a weekend away at a cottage near Lyme Regis where we spent a couple of nights with Julie a...