Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Wimborne ride to allotment






 After two early dog walks, I had a village hall meeting about a forthcoming bonfire night get together which should be fun. This meant I took a little longer in leaving for the allotment than planned but it was at least nice and warm by this time. 

I did the 17 mile round trip on the bike having avoided riding for a few weeks due to the back pain I had been experiencing. It was lovely in the sunshine and it is such a lovely feeling to be wheeling along in the countryside under your own steam - excepting the fact it is an electric bike!

The first thing I did was walk into Wimborne where there is a shop which provides refills for herb jars and I got lots of herbs and spices for just over three pounds, the cost of the product in the supermarket being higher in the main due to the cost of the container. It must be at least four times cheaper buying it this way. 

I got the grass strimmed finishing the job off from last week's visit when the battery had run out due to the length of the grass after a few weeks away. I took down the beans and stacked the bamboo canes neatly on one side, a contrast to the mess of the clearout I am having which has started a pile of debris to be tossed once completed. There is so much spinach and chard that we can live on that for weeks to come and I found more potatoes as I prepared one of the beds for planting out some onions and garlic, plus a few last broad beans. There is still time to get some winter lettuce planted too.

There was still time to remove more of the strawberries and to get a little more tidying up done.

It's time to get the tea going. There's butternut squash soup ready and I have the rest of the squash ready for roasting with peppers and tomotoes. That will go with lentil burgers, spinach from the allotment and a second go at vegan mac and cheese. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...