Friday, October 14, 2022

Allotment Friday








I fear I may be overdoing things a little again but I have managed to get a lot done today, despite the grey skies. The rain kept off right until the end which was a nice surprise but I started with the usual dog walk followed by a run of just under 5 miles. Once I'd done the cleaning and fed the birds I got in the motorhome and popped to the shops for some beers and whisky, for later on, not whilst at the allotments.

At West Moors I cut up the raspberry and redcurrant canes I'd dug up a few weeks ago. This meant I could compost them and I was able to add the last of the runner bean plants after taking a few remaining pods off first. There were still more tomatoes to be had and I will try to ripen them off, as well as a dozen more squashes waiting to be brought home.

I stopped at Stewarts on the way to Wimborne and steadfastly ignored the festive display and shut my ears to the Christmas music, at last able to get some garlic bulbs ready for planting. They have been so expensive from Suttons I have waited for them to turn up on the shelves. It was also  a good time to buy some new twine too.

Once in Wimborne I strimmed the plot once again and just have the top part to do once I have tidied it up. Till now it was where things were dumped or stored depending on your point of view. It is going to be an area of ground ready for turning to beds for planting, thus further increasing the size of the plot. I got one of the beds ready for planting by digging out the weeds and raking the soil over. This meant I could crack on with planting more of the onion sets, white and red, those not planted at West Moors a couple of weeks back. I listened to Melvyn Bragg's autobiography on Audible whilst working away and am enjoying it immensely. 

The allotment is looking much better now and I am keen to get back soon to crack on with the various tasks which remain.

Once home I got a red lentil curry done for tea and then took a final dog walk with Juno as the sun set. The photos give some sense of it but aren't truly effective in cpaturing the awesome light. 

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...