Saturday, July 09, 2022

Harvest of onions, garlic and shallots




I've been running again over the past two days and have entered a race near Dorchester on Sunday, an event Sandra is involved with, and so am starting to feel more secure on my sore ankle. Add the fact that the antibiotics for my toothache have taken the pain almost completely away and I am feeling much improved from last weekend. It still isn't clear where the problem lies and so there's no treatment for the time being. However, I've had more checks and am scheduled another next week.

The sun is here to stay for a while it seems and I had my coffee in the front garden where the plants and gravel give the scene a warm feeling, a little bit continental! It's also an ideal time for lifting the alliums which are now spread across the conservatory to dry and be stored for use over the coming months. It's the first time we've done shallots and they have done well. The onions have also grown nicely from sets, although there is a mixture of big and hearty and small and timid. 

There were two sorts of garlic and although both have grown, one variety has done better, nice big bulbs. However, the flavour will be key. The smaller ones may be more intense, so we will see. Overall, I am pleased with what we've got so far and that includes some bonus potatoes which have grown from the small ones left over when harvesting was going on last autumn. They grew amongst the garlic and there's a nice tub full of them.

I've done plenty of watering over the past days and the peas at West Moors were fantastic. There is also  a pumpkin there which is massive but without fruit just yet. Wimborne required strimming yesterday and lots of weeding but it is going on nicely.

 

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...