Saturday, May 28, 2022

Allotments again










I popped in for an hour to the allotment at West Moors yesterday evening, on the way to collect the Maria from dance and had a great time in the sunshine watering the courgettes and squash, along with the different plants already springing up. One observation I will make now is that the soil is not as productive here compared to the Wimborne site. I suspect the beds have not been properly manured for some time and the speed of growth is slower. I may be wrong and the growing season, which is really underway now, will show just what the plot here has got to offer.

The photos are mixed up above but it is easy to tell them apart with the allotment at West Moors having the raised beds.

Wimborne is looking good. I did the ride there and back in sunshine once again and had a good chunk of time putting the green caps on the ends of the bamboo canes, the shorter ones anyway, in order to avoid injury in case of tripping or similar types of accident. I got rid of a lot of nettles before turning over the compost heap and emptying the compost bin into the heap, It will all need to be kept more moist but it should kick on a bit now.

The big bin can be used for water carrying again now that the robins have fledged. The nest is now empty and that helped me when it came to watering. I got the beds weeded and hoed and have planted up lots more runner beans, french beans, peas, carrot, beetroot, chard and leaf beet. That means almost all the space has now been used and there is already a lot going on with runners already up and climbing, peas doing well and potatoes, garlic and onions nearly ready or maturing. It is certainly looking well tended.


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...