Monday, May 09, 2022

Allotment Wimborne




 It was another day with time spent on the allotment which gave me the chance to enjoy a ride through the quiet roads to Wimborne, 18 and a bit miles round trip. The first task was clearing the grass from the newly dug bed having left the turf in place when doing the preliminary digging last week. I then got on with strimming the grass before earthing up the potatoes.

The spuds are looking good and the bonus was the way in which seed from the greens last year has come up between the rows of potatoes. I was therefore able to dig some of them out and to transplant the seedlings into the new bed. That has given me something like 20 plants with the prospect of others if required and a crop of chard and spinach to come later in the summer.

I also got down to weeding out the couch grass along the edge of the plot near the runner beans. It is looking neat and tidy with plenty growing which is very satisfying. Even better was seeing the robin sat under the wheelie bin on its nest of four eggs. I was a little worried that the disturbance last time might have caused the adults to abandon the nest but it wasn't so.


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...