Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Allotment in the sunshine





I enjoyed a 13 mile round trip to the new allotment and back yesterday morning. It had been my intention to go back via Joy's to cut the grass and do the bird feeders but I ended up spending the time at the allotment instead, as there were new piles of manure and woodchip to help yourself to. That meant backwards and forwards with a wheelbarrow full and given we are the furthest plot from the entrance, lots of walking with a full barrow load which took time.

The paths round the individual beds, of which there are seven, seem to have a membrane below the surface to help reduce weeds but there are still quite a few and the woodchip keeps that under control. It looks like a lot when in the barrow and then you tip it out and spread it and it becomes very little! More to do with it yet then and the same is true of the muck which I ended up spreading onto three of the beds.

Having spent that time walking up and down the allotment, I was able to plant out more seeds including:

peas, leek, kale, beetroot, turnip and onions.

It will be interesting to see how it all takes, especially in comparison with Wimborne where I am sowing later. 

My left foot hurts underneath by the heel after the long walk at the weekend and when walking the dog for example, I am limping a little which is then putting a strain on my leg.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...