Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Busy day



 The photos show the allotment at its late autumn best. My first visit of the day was to Verwood to put in a new cat flap at Joy's house which was straightforward enough, and to await the arrival of the men trimming the branches from a fir tree overhanging the garage and laying across the telegraph wires.

From there I went to the allotment and did some tidying of the compost heap and digging during which I discovered lots of potatoes I had failed to notice previously when harvesting weeks ago. They are lovely looking and are a welcome addition to the store cupboard and I'll be using them, or some at least, in a winter stew tomorrow. The nice thing is I was also able to bring home some carrots and turnip which will add to the stew, as well as a leek. All good stuff.

Having got where I wanted in terms of preparing for the winter ahead but also preparing beds for next year, I went for a run starting beside the Stour and completing 3.5 miles in 10 minute miles. It was then back home for lunch and then my session in the back garden getting rid of the hedging cut yesterday. I got the larger branches cut down and put them in the coal bunker to dry out and season a little with a view to using them in the wood burner later. The remaining hawthorn twigs I chopped up and burnt in the fire pit for a lovely autumn bonfire. There's nothing like it!

The remainder, I piled high and then took the hedge cutters to it so that the pieces were small enough to fit nicely into the garden waste bin. It took a bit of work but we got there and it is looking nice now.

I took Juno round the goat farm and then set to tea using the bolognese sauce from the other day, roasting an aubegine in small cubes with garlic to add to the sauce, along with pasta, brocolli and a lentil burger from Monday's batch cooking.

Busy again but enjoyable.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...