Thursday, October 07, 2021

Lovely day















The photos of the buzzard are from the evening before yesterday when I had gone out for a ride on the mountain bike and came across it settled on the telegraph pole, quite happily watching the world passing by. There are plenty of these birds in Woodlands and it is good to see we also have kestrels and sparrowhawks too. It would be nice if we got to see more red kite overhead but they remain a few miles away at Cranborne.

Wednesday was a lovely day despite Maria being off feeling under the weather. Juno got her walks early and I did my 5km run at 8am so I was able to go off down to Durley Chine with Glen and Harry and the dogs for a sunny morning on the beach. It was beautiful and the dogs loved the open space, although Juno is not so keen on the water. Rag is happy to get in and he wanted to follow Glen and I in but the waves were bigger than he is and he got put off. 

That's the first time I've ever swum in the sea in October! It was bearable but I think the wet suit is going to need to come out soon! 

Glen took the dogs home meaning I could go on to the allotment at Wimborne and again, lovely sunshine and the opportunity to tidy up the beds, the compost heap and nettles which have been doing very well in that corner of the plot. I have prepared the soil for the planting of over-wintering onions, garlic and broad beans. It is always exciting to move on to the next phase of planting with the harvesting almost done, although there are still lots of greens and root veg to be pulled.

Juno and I had another walk in the woods later and she loves the fact she can go completely off the path into the undergrowth. You get a real sense of her breed coming out, the rooting around and plunging into the thickest of tangled bushes and shrubs, brambles and roots. 

Maria is much improved after a day of rest.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...