Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Riding the Dorset countryside






That isn't something you see every day! On the return journey from the school run I discovered that between then and the earlier journey to school, part of the remedy oak had come down across the road. It could have been shifted slightly to allow cars to pass but I wasn't sure the rest of the tree wasn't going to come down. What a sight! It has been there for a very long time and it has partially collapsed today, perhaps because of the extremely hot weather we have been having this week. 500 years of history.
 

The Oak Tree – has long been associated with healing powers. At Woodlands, on the corner of the road leading to the golf club, stands the Remedy Oak Tree. Here, King Edward VI healed people of “Kings Evil” or scurvy. In those days, the King was believed to have a divine touch.

By the time I had finished my ride the broken bough had been removed and the road was open once more. I managed 23 miles in riding out to Farnham and back and it was a pleasure to be on the road under such blue skies. It doesn't feel quite so hot when riding and you do get rests in between the effort of climbing. Some great views and you can see the harvest ready fields stretching out to the horizon but also nice to see meadows being allowed to flourish.

I'm off to Maria's dance studio next where she is preparing for her singing and acro exams over the next two days. I've got the mountain bike so I can go for a plunge into the woods whilst waiting.


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...