Thursday, June 10, 2021

Back on the allotment




Today was my first time riding to the allotment since the 51 mile hike last month. It has taken me a few weeks to feel properly rested, although I have been riding, running and walking fine. Till now I have kept local because I have noticed my muscles starting to tire in a way I haven't been used to. Today I managed the 18 mile round trip without a hitch and was able to be at the allotment early.

I did some more watering and weeding but I also got the plot strimmed too, as well as planting some more chard and french beans. The weeding gets you right down amongst the beds and there are so many insects and creepy crawlies. Plenty of biodiversity there and more seedlings have appeared than I had noticed previously.

After a morning in Wimborne I did the school run and left early to enjoy a walk round Cranborne where the fields have been ploughed and planted to ensure boundaries are full of flowers with plenty of poppies on show. Hopefully these field margins will help with insects and birds and small mammals. To my untrained eye it looks positve but are they big enough and is there enough variety in these strips to make a difference? I wish I knew.


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...