Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Trip to the allotment

 



I had to give up on sleep last night just before 4am having been disturbed thinking about the motorhome not starting. I thought the battery had been flat when it wouldn't go on Monday and so I charged it up yesterday and fully expected it to get going without any fuss. It had been standing idle for a while and losing charge would not have been surprising. Sadly, there was nothing at all when I turned the key, not even the sound of a click even though the charger indicated the battery was full.

During the night it must have occured to me that this indicated it wasn't the battery at fault, perhaps it was just a lose connection,  maybe I'd knocked something. The thought must have bothered me and I had to give up on sleep and get up.

The good news is that it worked! I had a little fiddle and rather excitingly discovered whatever was the mater had been corrected. The engine roared into life.

That meant I could forget that and focus on the allotment and how I was going to get the strimmer there whilst on my bike. I managed that after putting the strimming part in the rucksack and securing the shaft to my shoulders so it wouldn't shift too much as I rode the 9 miles to Wimborne. It ended up looking like something out of a dim past when mounted warriors slung shields and swords across their backs, riding to battle. 

It meant I was careful riding along and didn't go too quickly and I kept glancing it to my left side as it caught my peripheral sight. Not a problem though and we made it safely. Having fully charged the battery yesterday I got round the entire plot just before the battery died. I was able to leave the strimmer in the tool store to be collected by car at a later date but I have brought the battery home for charging so I can do the rear of the plot next time.

The only things I brought home were spinach and a lettuce but the garlic, lettuce, broad beans and beets are going on strongly, destined for great things in the spring.

I dug a trench to be filled with paper and card and bits of old peelings and so on which will be covered and used to plant runner beans next year, the itmes in the trench helping provide some nutrients but mainly serving as a means of providing moisture as they will help retain water deep into the summer.

It was also a time to remove this year's runners and to tidy away the netting I'd used to protect the seedlings as they emerged, having had the first sowing decimated by the rabbits.

There was time for a flask of coffee and I enjoyed listening to Stuart Maconie's audiobook and to Radio 6 with just a brief pause for the silence at 11.00 for Remembrance Day.

The ride home was great. I felt I was taking it relatively easy but managed 15mph for the 10 miles (a different route home) and it was uplifting to look across the fields and into the villages I passed from afar, Hinton Martell, Witchampton and Horton. 

Alison and I walked the goat farm route again noticing the growing numbers of rooks and jackdaws feeding communally in the fields which had recently been grazed by horses.

Family time tomorrow after three days where we have been able to please ourselves and we feel well prepared for it after that welcome time


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...