Thursday, November 19, 2020

Pressure washer


 Another wet day but for different reasons today after so much rain of late. We had Amelia but I didn't see a lot of her as I was off for a 5km run first thing followed by a trip to Verwood to pressure wash Joy's patio, having recently managed to get the thing working and cleaning the paths at the back of the house. 

It was a big task given the years which have passed since it was last done and I started by getting a stiff brush and sweeping the entire surface with some vigour. The photo is of the revealed colours of the patio, colours which had been hidden by layers of moss and algae. 

The next small job was to fix the front gates which had started sticking recently and it was nice and simple to resolve. The offending area was at the top of the gate so I had a look at the top hinges and saw that all of the screws had disappeared! I'm not sure why that might have been when all the other hignes had all three screws in place. The mystery deepened when I saw three of the four screws in the gravel beneath the gate post and so assume that the pulling of the gate had worked them loose over time. No rubbing now.

Having had lunch I started on our patio having brought the pressure home with me. It was put down three years ago and so I was expecting it to be a quick job but it turned out I'd forgotten the stone we used was also coloured and again, time had allowed a grey patina to form over the entire surface. It was amazing to see the paving slabs revealed again but it was a longer job than planned for taking me right past school pick up time which meant Alison went with Amelia.

Once finished I took on the motorhome and was up the ladder after threading the hose from the back round the side of the house and into the front garden. The main aim was to clean the roof which was no easy task given the motorhome is rammed hard against the hedge and I can only get to the far side by leaning over. Up and down I went and was making good progress until I felt I was starting to get sprayed far too much myself but I eventually realised it had started to rain, the light drizzle quickly turning heavier until there was a real downpour. 

Once finished I got packed away and rushed back indoors without the opportunity to stand and gaze at my handiwork which was a shame but it was a good job done. Definitely worthwhile getting the pressure washer going again and something we'll be using more regularly now.


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...