Sunday, May 17, 2020

Travels around Dorset

I have been enjoying the dry weather in spite of the coldish breeze which has chilled the last few days. It has allowed me to get out and about exploring many different areas close to home.

On Wednesday I cycled out to the allotment to plant some onion sets which arrived extremely late due to the 'unprecedented' demand experienced by Suttons. It felt almost pointless planting them at this time of the year but what else was I going to do with them. The plot has been wind blasted and the potatoes have definitely taken a bit of a battering with the leaves scorched by the dry, cold wind.

The ride home was cold!

Happily the next ride I did on Friday saw the wind drop with a resultant rise in temperature. I am aiming to ride 57 miles in a day and have to prepare with some training rides. That meant getting out and about on the way to cut the grass for Joy. I took the long way and rode off to Edmondsham, Cranborne, Tidbit, Martin, Damerham, Sandleheath, Alderholt and Verwood. It was a stunning ride and I enjoyed a rest in the village of Martin, stopping for a banana and drink in the centre of the village. The ride was 26 miles and almost half of what I'll need to get the 57 miles done.

Encouragingly I was able to go for a run without too much discomfort yesterday following the long ride and churned out nearly 6.5 miles taking in Bagmans Lane, a fairly long trackway running uphill all the way. I felt good afterwards with no real aches or pains, something I am very fortunate to enjoy given how frequently people have to stop because of knee problems or similar. I'll keep going while I can.








No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...