Sunday, March 26, 2023

Old man rages at the rain


I was caught in the rain the other day and found myself actually shouting out loud, cursing the elements in a futile protest against the fact I keep getting wet walking the dog and running. I was soaking by the time I got home and entirely fed up. It is so wet underfoot in the woods for example and the river is swollen again. Juno is almost living in the utility room until the evening so she is clean when coming in. She is not a dog to keep out of the mud and water.

There are plenty of daffodils and primroses in full bloom which do lift the spirits and I have been walking almost 5 miles a day during March, as well as running most days, including a 4 mile run on Saturday. 

It was a busy weekend with Evie and Amelia here all day yesterday and for a sleepover, Joseph and Bridie up to go with them and Maria and Alison to the Ancient Technology Centre whilst I kept an eye on Joy and made lunch. They were off to a puppet show in the afternoon for an hour which gave me the space for a run and then tea for them all and an evening of games.

Maria was then at dance for 9am which gave me the opportunity to go straight on to Joe and Kate to drop the girls off too, having had a walk with Juno and Evie before setting off. Then home to walk the dog again and check on Joy before heading to watch Joseph play football and collecting Maria from dance. Alison did dinner for us all, including Glen who had also come to see Joseph's game.

This afternoon has been a mixture of seed planting in the conservatory with plenty on the go, and organising our trip to the USA. We are in Philadelphia for the first two days, then off to Gettysburg for a family gathering and a tour of the huge battlefield. From there we are using Chris's car to drive to Washington on our own for two days, staying near the White House. We get back to Philadelphia for a baseball match in the evening followed by the train to New York for three days, just Maria, Alison and myself. We are staying between Times Square and Central Park, two minutes walk from Broadway. Once back in Phildelphia, we set off to Cape May for the final few days in a beach house and head for the airport from there. It is going to be extraordinary and exciting and there's also Bad Cinderella booked up to see on Broadway. Not my cup of tea but it will be an experience and I'm determined to keep a smile on my face.

Juno and I have spent an hour in the woods this evening and now we are set for the last week of school before Easter when child minding, old person with Alzeimhers minding and Maria's big show at the Pavilion to look forward to. I do find myself wondering when it is going to get quieter!!

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...