Thursday, October 06, 2022

Wimborne allotment





I am feeling pretty knackered this evening and will be asleep shortly, I have no doubt. It's been a very physical day starting as usual with a walk in the dark with Juno. We did 1.6 miles before breakfast and were out again at 10am and have just come back from the woods after a final walk for the day. In between I did 4.6 miles running whilst listening to The Bullet That Missed, the latest audiobook from Richard Osman, featuring the Thursday Murder Club characters. It makes for a good listen when running.

Having got that done, I was off in the motorhome to Wimborne, the first visit to that allotment for a month or more and the grass had grown considerably which meant the strimmer ran out of battery power before I finished. It was still good to rake up the cut grass and add it to the compost bin which I have moved to start afresh. In fact, change is the name of the game at the plot and it is currently looking quite messy.

Before getting down to work I had to find a way into a neighbour's netted space where two chiffchaffs were trapped and in distress. I couldn't work out where the entrance was and went round and round before spotting a section of overlapping net which I managed to unhook and open sufficiently for the birds to escape. I made good the opening and hope I haven't done anything remiss.

I dug up the remaining rows of potatoes, over 10kgs of them and good sized, and the last of the beetroot. The main thing left for the next weeks is greens, lots and lots of them. Then I started on the compost and also moved the tool store which required it be emptied and shifted from one side to another before being loaded back up. It was all very physical but it will mean the plot becomes tidier and I will gain space where grass and raspberry canes have gone rogue. It will mean more space for growing once I have dug it over. I took down the spent bean plants and bamboo canes before starting to remove the strawberry plants. They have become far too numerous and I am looking to focus them at West Moors. The bed, once cleared and fed, will be for garlic to overwinter.

From there I went to collect Maria from school and a welcome tea.

The photos show the plot looking pretty messy but it will soon be looking great. Just a few weeks of work ahead.

No comments:

W allotment

I managed a good few hours at the bigger allotment yesterday which resulted in my preparing the final beds, the big one in particular, for p...