Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Another busy day.







Things didn't quite pan out as planned yesterday evening with several heavy downpours spoiling my planned trip to the allotment on the way to dance. That meant I was off there this morning instead as I had to take the car for MoT later in the day and this seemed a good way of spending the time beforehand and without having to drive too much extra either.

It was a lovely morning and Juno and I walked past Martins Farm and up towards the woods which would take you round and back to Remedy Oak. There are plenty of sheep in the fields of Woodlands these days, something quite unusual in previous years but there are still lots and lots of horses. We saw 5 roe deer, including two young ones, in one of the horse fields. They must have had an undisturbed night before we up in the early dawn to spoil their untroubled feeding.

The allotment was nice to weed after the rain and I have got it just about cleared now. There are shallots, potatoes and spinach in the top photo with a blackcurrant bush behind. That is absolutely laden with fruit waiting to ripen. Fantastic! I staked it up as the weight of the fruit is bringing the branches lower in a number of cases and they will be more vulnerable to pests on the ground.

I also staked the raspberry canes for the same reason. In the same bed there are the first runner beans coming through. Such a joy to see them pushing up. Lots of seedlings are coming through too and the peas now have a lovely string and bamboo framework to climb and find support.

The car passed the MoT and I went for a 5km run whilst waiting before heading home for a quick bit of lunch. That was quickly followed by a bike ride back down to Verwood for a dental appointment which was over in about two minutes without any concerns. Always a relief!

I did a bit in the garden again and then did pasta with pesto for tea, a salad with white wine vinegar dressing, barbecued chickpeas (my own concoction of miso paste, tomato puree, olive oil, a pslash of water, tomato ketchup and maple syrup) and the children ate it up well.

Joseph and I are just back from a walk with Juno where Joseph had his skateboard and was showing real improvement in his balance and control. He's got a sleepover tonight.


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...