Thursday, February 10, 2022

Allotment update




I got it wrong in terms of clothing today in expecting the recent warmer temperatures would hold true for today and ended up freezing cold. Juno and I were out even earlier than usual for the long morning walk, well before 7am and in ample time to enjoy the rooks and jackdaws splitting into two distinct groups as they wheeled overhead in the semi-darkness. 

Once home I got ready for a ride down to Moors Valley before going to Joy's for a morning in the graden with Alison. I was very quickly aware that the wind generated when on the bike was biting cold and my fingers were so cold in the fingerless gloves. It meant I didn't hang around too long with the binoculars but I did stop for a look at the tufted duck and coot on the lake, noting a grey heron on the far side in amongst the overhanging shrubbery. The lake at Moors Valley was home to the family of swans but there was also a cormorant there, reminding me that I'd seen one, the same one? last week perched in a tree at the far end of the water near the train station. I also saw a goldcrest which popped onto the path for a moment.

At Joy's the first thing I did was sort my poor fingers out getting them warm again before filling the bird feeders. Then it was time to get a coat of wood stain on the front gates which took quite some time and made me notice the vertical strips of wood were coming away from the bottom strut and will need fixing next time I am down. I only did the posts and inside of the gates and so will crack on with it again next week. I hope to be able to carry on with the tidying and clear out of the shed but that may have to wait.

After a quick sandwich I drove to Wimborne as I had the grass strimmer with me and set to cutting the paths surrounding the plots. The allotment is looking pretty up together and ready for the growing season and I got a good bit of weeding, a little more digging and clearing up done. The strawberries need a hard thinning out as they are so thick in their small plot and that won't allow for good fruiting. Everything else is just a matter of time. Got some record shots as above so I can compare in coming years.

Alison did the tea tonight which was a nice change after doing the cooking almost exclusively for weeks now and we have Joseph for the night after a few days off. Amelia has tested negative for Covid after the week off school which means another clear test tomorrow  will see her able to come over for the weekend, although Evie will have to stay home isolating with Joe and Kate still.

Glen is still very shken up by the sudden death of his boss on Sunday. James was very good to Glen and Glen had been enjoying the relaxed atmosphere and convenient hours. That could change but he is picking up more hours to help out for the time being. Poor James was only 45 but the heart attack took him out so quickly the air ambulance was too late. Devastating.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...