Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Allotment sowing





 

It was another warm day but the sun struggled to make an appearance, as you may see in the photo taken looking across Holt Heath, the route I took riding to the allotment this morning. Once there I was greeted by a flock of black headed gulls swarming overhead, put up from the river Stour by some disturbance but I was soon settled into digging the large bed which was benefitting from the manure spread last autumn. The worms were everywhere!

I was listening to the Iliad again this morning and then to Radio 6. I did get tired though and had to change from digging to putting a protective cover over the leeks which the rabbits had already been at overnight. I was then able to focus on planting with lots of seeds going in to short rows at the start of the growing season:

peas, spinach, beetroot, leeks, carrots, onions, swede, radish, parsnip,

The ride home took me through Furze Hill and toward Holt and then the Three Cross turn but I soon headed toward Gaunts Common and Horton managing almost 10 miles at 16.12mph. Very pleased with the increased pace of late.

Now for a bit of time in the kitchen with hummus and vegetable chilli on the menu.


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...