Thursday, February 04, 2021

I have a book out


It may not be an earth-shaking moment and it may not be a book that is read up and down the land but it is a moment I shall always remember with pride - my book has finally been made available for publication.

I have used Kindle Direct Publishing which is part of Amazon and allows readers to download an e book easily to their devices as well as ordering a paperback version. Obviously I would like to have an agent and then a publisher in a more traditional sense but it feels as if there is a very closed world out there when the books which appear to be selling and being promoted are those brought to life by existing celebrities. Like Hollywood and cinema where franchises and sequels, the already tried and tested and commercially successful dominate, the book world is increasingly the domain of the privileged.

KDP democratises publication and it means I don't have to put anything up front. Whatever I might feel about Amazon, the fact people can read the book via this platform is exciting.Incredibly, people have been buying it and I am looking forward to hearing what they think of it.

It has meant getting back on social media and I have actually felt like being at work over the past couple of days. Writing back to people takes time and I don't want to appear ungrateful to them for getting in touch. I have been so amazed to see comments from teachers and students I barely remembered but they have taken the trouble to get in touch.

More usually I have been out and about on the bike and for runs and walks and they are a godsend. It is so good to be able to enjoy the hints of spring and milder days, desite the rain continuing to fall. I did a ride yesterday which was invigorating and took the time to stop and enjoy the countryside along the way.

 

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...