Monday, November 09, 2020

Busy Monday

We were all up by 6 this morning and so it was possible to fit in a run before Maria went to school, a  slow 5km in the murky November dawn, leaves gently falling to ground in damp but still conditions. Not long afterwards Alison and I were on our bikes for a ride down to Verwood, Alison to vacuum her mother's house, me to continue sorting out the garage. 

I have to say I am enjoying going through all of the various bits and pieces, so much of it reminding me of Robin and his character before the cruel intervention of alzheimers, a practical man with endless patience and the ability to complete a task knowing that it would stand the test of time. There is lots of dust, cobwebs aplenty and dingy corners which look to have seen their share of rodent visitors over the past five or more years when the garage has been out of action. However, there are real treasures here too. Some are familiar despite having been hidden for a very long time. 

The car jack hasn't been out for years and reminded me of a time when tinkering with your car was possible. Today there are so many electrics that touching anything seems fraught with danger and garages are keen to cash in on the fact ordinary people aren't able to do work without the aid of the diagnostic computer system. There was also a cut down, wooden handled golf club which I remember the children being able to use when they were small, chipping a ball about the garden, another part of what Robin loved.

I brought a bicycle pump which looks antique and I'm looking for a connector to see if it works and also a pair of calipers, at least that's what I think they are called, used for fine measurements. They need a little repair. In need of more repair is a pair of binoculars which are very old. You can see out of the right lens but the other side is blocked by something.

Photos to follow.

Having ridden home and had some lunch we then got to varnishing the stairs to the attic room, a second coat, made possible by Glen spending a few days in Brighton giving us access to the stairs.

I had to leave Alison to finish the job as it was time to get started with the tea, curried cauliflower, vegetable curry, curried mushrooms and brown basmati rice which we ate whilst watching the new series of 'His Dark Materials' which was great.

A busy day but rewarding. 

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...