Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Tomatoes and Maisy


It's been a while since I posted a photo of Maisy so here she is on our afternoon walk earlier today. The sun was shining and it is about 10 degrees warmer than yesterday, at least it was this morning.

I ran down to Verwood and back this morning to cut Joy's lawn, so a nice little 5 mile run across Crane Valley Golf Course and through the copse. It gave me a break from a busy morning of cooking which carried on into the afternoon.

1. Hummus - I've been making our own regularly for months and it is mainly a case of remembering to soak the chickpeas overnight first. Nice tub in the fridge for the next few days and some left over for the curry.

2. Tomato curry - I saw the recipe in The Guardian yesterday and it was lovely. There's some left over for tomorrow as well and it was great to use another batch of tomatoes. I had to roast the spices for a few minutes including cumin, star anise, cloves, cardamon, mustard seeds and peppercorns before adding coconut milk and tumeric. I forgot, there were fennel seeds too. Eventually got to add the tomatoes and chickpeas - lovely and creamy and full of flavour without lots of heat.

3. Green tomato chutney - after soaking the tomatoes and onion overnight in salted water, I boiled the vinegar and sugar before adding sultanas and chopped apples which were from the garden and therefore doubly welcome. I drained off the water and added the tomato and onion to two pans, there was so much of it, and brought to the boil before simmering for over an hour. 9 jars and chutney are ready for their labels and storing.

4. Borscht - a beetroot soup including onions, potatoes, tomatoes, greens and beetroot from the allotment. A little bit of chilli and ginger, carrot and celery and it was ready to simmer for an hour or so. Quite a kick to it in this instance and another recipe from The Guardian yesterday.

That's enough cooking for now. Time to collect Maria from dance.


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...