Tuesday, August 11, 2020

100km bike ride for the National Autistic Society


I didn't ride the pony in the picture but it was tempting! One of my 57 challenges was to complete a 57 mile bike ride and another was to take part in a charity bike ride so it made sense to combine the two which is how I signed up to the 100km virtual event in aid of the National Autism Society. The last practice ride I did was just over 40 miles and that was several weeks ago and in the meantime we have been away and the weather hasn't been quite right and so on. I was keen to have a sunny ride and one where the wind was as kind as it could be i.e. very gentle. There is little worse, in my view, when riding a bike than pedalling along a flat section of road and feeling like you are putting in a huge effort to no avail as the wind pushes you back, cruel and unrelenting.

The conditions were perfect when I set out just after 7.30 this morning but the heatwave of the past few days continued and it got hotter and hotter. Still, better that than rain and gloomy skies.

I'd adjusted the gears which had been slipping a little recently and they proved completely reliable over the next 5 hours, and I packed a rucksack with extra water and a heavy old bike lock, plus pasta and snacks. It was quite a load but I wasn't too bothered by it. However, I didn't eat much at all, having had a good porridge and toast breakfast. It was the water I craved, especially toward the end of the rideand I did pop into a shop for a bottle of Diet Coke which was lovely and cold, well worth the £1.40 it cost.

Taking care to prepare, I had a pump, two spare tubes, tyre levers, puncture repair kit and a charger for phone and the garmin. I'm not normally so well prepared but it felt owrth spending a little time avoiding mishaps later, although in the event everything went smoothly.

The route was one I'd checked with Google Maps first so I had an idea of the distance I'd be completing, not wanting to get close to home and find I had to push a further few miles to hit the target. It wasn't until I checked later that I saw how hilly the start of the ride was which is an indication of my setting out conservatively and not over-straining. I headed to Cranborne and on to Alderholt, Fordingbridge and Godshill where I took my first stop by The Fighting Cocks and decided against riding one of the ponies or donkeys.

It was then time to head further east, a pull along to Brook and under the M27/A31 roundabout before heading to Lyndhurst where I stopped at Boltons Bench, a local landmark where TSP had previously started their 50 mile rides around the forest. Plenty of positive memories for me in that location despite realising I was on my own this time and had to get past the 50 miles and to 62.2!

I was feeling good around this point and took the road down to Beaulieu, a route I haven't taken before and it was lovely to find it was almost all downhill. Mile after mile of flat ot descending roads through picture book heathland, the open land of the New Forest. 

Next up was Brockenhurst which I seemed to scout round, missing the town centre where I would have had a little stop but I pushed on towards Sway and then Burley, managing to overtake some riders by this stage. Now the thirst was beginning to hit me and I stopped at Burley for some welcome water and a peanut butter sandwich. I was getting closer to home and starting to panic about going far enough but the road to Ringwood was longer than the usual one I drive which takes in the A31. Brilliantly, this road was mostly downhill too and took me past the 50 mile mark and still feeling good.







You can see just how sunny it was and by this time the heat was really on. I had got up to 14.5mph on average, well over the 12mph I'd expected. I next stopped at Moors Valley which meant I had a slowish section through the busy pathway to Potterne Park. My water was nearly all gone and I knew I was going to be a couple of miles short too, so not the best moment and that's when I really started thinking about nearly having done it but knowing there was the huge hill from Verwood to Woodlands to come. My heart was sinking but I got on and took a detour round the Ebblake Industrial Estate to add some distance, doing the same at the roundabout in Verwood where I headed back off toward Alderholt before retracing my steps, this time confident I had enough mileage to complete the challenge by the time I got home.

Just 1.5 miles remained and I was still averaging over 14mph  and I took to the Col de Verwood, the steep climb past Crane Valley Golf Club and the caravan park. In all honesty, it was quickly over. I seemed to be in a rhythm which kept me going despite myself and the legs didn't feel too bad at all. It wasn't until I'd done the final 1/2 mile and got in the door that I realised I was gasping for breath still having got up the hill. The final descent down to New Road was lovely. 

Usually I would go in the back and take the bike up the steps but today I simply coasted to the front garden and stacked it against the motorhome and staggered in to drink and drink.

It's taken me a little while to feel quite back to normal. I was definitely dehydrated by the end and it's taken an hour to get myself sorted. However, I've now got a coffee and the pasta I'd taken for the ride to enjoy. I just couldn't face them when I got home.

So two more challenges completed and some money raised for the Autism Society and I enjoyed the ride too. Smiles all round.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...