Monday, July 13, 2020

Allotment run

I ran to the allotment yesterday and am feeling the consequences this morning. It was a 9 mile run in some lovely sunshine and took me through Horton, Chalbury, Gaunts Common and Furzehill. That's the longest run for 5 or 6 years; I'd previously decided to focus on regular running rather than long distances when I got injured doing a half marathon and struggled to get back into it for two years. The muscle kept playing up and it has taken me a good deal of time to build up confidence in it.

The allotment itself is looking good with the runner beans, which had to be resown following their decimation by rabbits , have started climbing and producing flowers, the potatoes will soon be ready and we are getting plenty of greens. Never having grown french beans or peas previously, I am not sure how well they are doing but they look encouraging.

The most satisfying thing was being able to harvest the first of our beetroot. They are a good size and another indication of just how good the soil is. Once they have made it past the teeth of the ravenous rabbits, the plants which survive have all grown well and are producing good crops. Makes for a good deal of satisfaction.

It was even better having the children come along too. They are so pleased with their own little plots and loved pumping the water too. 

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...