Tuesday, June 09, 2020

Round the Tarrants

Following the home schooling session in the morning, I took to the Cannondale bike and got myself over to the allotment, taking a scenic route to extend the distance as I prepare for the 60 mile round trip to Swanage. In total I rode 30 miles with an hour at the allotment in between the first 21 miles and final 9 miles home.

The pleasing aspect was that I managed it reasonably well, enjoying the ride itself and finding I had got home at a faster pace than the outward journey, suggesting there are reserves of energy there to be tapped?

The route took me through Witchampton and up to Tarrant Rushton, site of an old airfield. That section was probably the most hilly of the whole journey but coming early on, it didn't feel too bad at all. Great open views in places and leading me to the valley through which the Tarrant runs, home to numerous iterations of the Tarrant villages. The church in the photo is at Tarrant Keynston and was worth a quick stop for. I turned to Shapwick, a more familiar place as we have walked by the Stour from there.

Most of my time at the allotment was spent watering the plot but I earthed up some spuds and got the hoe out to weed out a few unwanted plants. It is coming on.

The return ride was along the usually busy Wimborne to Cranborne road which is busier than during the early days of lcokdown but not quite at the same level as previously.

Highlight of the ride was cycling behind a jay for a length of country lane, the bird unable to veer off for a while. Spectacular bird with the white rump and short wings, full of pulsing power.



No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...