Tuesday, June 16, 2020

New Forest cycle ride

Bike ride round the New Forest starting from home and taking me to Haythorne, Three Cross, Ringwood, Blashford, Fritham, Godshill, Fordingbridge, Cranborne and home again, a journey of just under 39 miles. I was pleased at the average speed which was 14.23 mph - getting quicker despite it being further. There were stretches where you could just pedal in a rhythm, undisrupted by ups and downs.





I started by taking the road to Haythorne and onto Three Legged Cross because there is less traffic at the moment, due to the lockdown, albeit a relaxed lockdown. It is a road I would usually avoid due to the nature of the traffic, fast through narrow lanes with a number of bends and poor lines of sight. The bit which was busy was the section to St Ives and Ringwood itself was fairly busy, a few more shops being able to open after three months.

The ride became a good deal more relaxed from that point onwards as I got into the New Forest. The ford near the Alice Lisle was as busy as ever with paddlers in the ford, families picnicking and checking out the ponies. It was here I made the decision to go for the longer ride and headed to Fritham which took me along some inclines but afforded long stretches where you could just pedal. It was very quiet and the cloud had cleared, so perfect for enjoying the solitude of the New Forest.

There was a place near Fritham which was choc a bloc with motorhomes. They were parked up with families spread over the wide open spaces. Beautiful to be out at this stage and there were so many photo opportunities e.g. 3 foals in a line queuing for the attention of a mare.

By Godshill I was beginning to feel the ride but a quick drink and snack got me home feeling good. I could have gone further and look forward to attempting the 57 mile ride soon.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...