Friday, May 22, 2020

Shattered

It was a long day but an enjoyable one. We had a really good home school session with plenty of interest in the differing activities and Maria has submitted all her work for the week with a day to spare. That meant we finished a little bit earlier and I took the opportunity to get out for a run which ended up at 6.5 miles in the heat of the warmest day of the year thus far.

I went out to Slough Lane and then across the tracks and paths leading to the entrance to Remedy Oak Golf Club. From there I was able to crack on to the actual remedey oak and back home in time for lunch and a second dog walk to the woods with Maisy.

The tough task of the day was getting Joy onto the internet and set up with her Alexa Show but I managed it and got them working successfully in fairly short order leaving time for me to ride back home up the tracks on the mountain bike to fix Maria's laptop.

It's been nerve-wracking but pleasing to take apart two laptops of late and to successfully sort them out including Alison's battery earlier this week. Saved some money and got to know a bit more about what is inside the machine. Like a lot of things, it is simpler than you might imagine but even so, I can't help but get anxious when opening them up.

The run and ride means I have already exceeded the 200 mile target for the month of May with 10 days left in the month which is quite something. The good weather has helped.

I listened to a lot music yesterday including Sleaford Mods and their 'new' release which features some old tracks too. I don't  mind one or two together but the album as one longer listen ended up as a long, angry, sweary rant and the power of their music and lyrics becomes lost, at least to me. The style is presented as authentic but it doesn't have enough shade to allow it to speak more forcefully.

On the other hand I have been listening to the book 'Humankind' on Audible and would recommend it. It chimes with my view on the world, a belief in the essential goodness of people and has plenty of interesting stories to back up the arguments. Strongly recommended, although I am sure there are plenty of opponents lining up to highlight research challenging what the author chooses to include and to present human beings as behaving as Hobbes wrote all those years ago.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...