Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Exercised!

Started with a gentle 5 mile run at 9.48 per mile. Followed this up with 13.6 miles at 16 mph. I thought I'd done very well, especially as strava had me down as having achieved 7 personal bests. However, I then checked for information about power. The notification said I had averaged around 130 watts during the ride and I thought that sounds impressive. I learnt that you then divide that by your weight in kg to give power stat which could be compared to other riders.

It all sounded simple enough and it was - I came out as 1.55w/kg and could compare myself with others. The most elite riders, the ones who win the big tours have stats of over 6w/kg. I can live with that. Looking down the list, and I did have to scroll down, I come out as a 'novice' rider. A novice!

Just shows that getting on the bike now and again and having a fairly gentle run regularly are far from effective in pushing you on far in terms of being good at these activities, if by good one means efficient and effective.

I was just interested in this and certainly not disappointed because I am pleased with my levels of fitness and am enjoying running and cycling without feeling I have to be so much better at them. It certainly gives me pause for thought in considering just how fantastic the elite athletes are and what they must have to do to make the progress they need to compete at the highest level. Amazing what human beings can achieve.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...