Friday, August 17, 2018

Gardening

A brighter morning which meant we could go down to Verwood to continue to work on Joy's garden. I ran down and did 5 miles before meeting Alison and Maria. There was a bit of hedging to start with followed by digging the vegetable patch and sowing a few seeds, as well as sorting out the runner beans which had blown over.

We planted some spinach and radishes before going home for a spot of lunch and a play in the garden. The plan is to drop Maria with Bridie for the fireworks this evening whilst Alison and I visit a teacher from her school.

I am going to try and get a round of golf in as well.

I was amazed to see that Robin had a spade made in the GDR, the old East Germany! The spade was apparently his father's before him which makes it at least 50 years old, probably more. I am trying to figure out how an East German spade came to be in their possession. I imagined there was little trade between the countries, as part of the cold war. The spade is great. Maybe that is where communism excelled, in the production of garden implements! Joy was then prompted to get out some other old items from the shed including a very old measuring tape in a beautiful case. The tape was imperial only, no mention of metric at all. Just the thing for Brexit?

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...