Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Stornoway












I had a few days in the Hebrides over half term and had something of a nightmare as far as travel is concerned but it was good to see mum and dad after such a long time.

Leaving on Friday from Ringwood, I got a coach to London and then a connection to Inverness. All was well till Glasgow when the coach taking us on failed to arrive at 6 in the morning. Tired and freezing we waited for an hour before a coach came out of the rain and took us through the Highlands. I had 2 hours to kill before the bus to Ullapool but it was chucking it down in Inverness and there was no news on whether the ferry to Stornoway would be running. It was touch and go with the storms still passing through having prevented sailings for the previous 2 days.
In Ullapool the ferry was said to be running, but very late. I had to endure 3 hours in a pub in the warm with nothing to do but watch the football and have a quiet drink or 6. It meant I wasn't sure if I was staggering because of the storm or the drink as i went on board. I sat in the bar for the 2 and 1/2 hour journey and this time did really have to endure hardship as X Factor was on!!
As you'll see from the photos, we had snow as well as rain and the odd glimpse of sun over the days I was there. I managed to get lots of rest though after what has been a very, very hard first half term in the academy.


No comments:

Euro tour

Our little trek round Europe is taking shape and is coming ever closer. This is for Maria and Lily to have an adventure after Maria's GC...