Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Maria again

It's felt like a very long day after so long without sleep but Maria has made a good start with no problems to report and feeding well. She and Alison have dozed on and off most of the day while I've had the pleasure of sorting out the house including my first ever use of the washing machine!

It was such a long night with Alison having had a show in the late morning and starting contractions in earnest from 11 in the evening. The labour was apparently 5 hours 40 minutes with the actual pushing stage only 3 minutes. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that for much of the night I was watching Argentina against Venezeula in a World Cup Qualifier but we were all in the front room, Ali, myself and the midwife, and I did keep asking if it was ok having it on in the background. Great goal by Messi for the second goal by the way. Then it was highlights of Brazilian football until 4 o'clock.

I don't want it to sound as if I wasn't involved - cold towels don't fetch themselves - but Alison was fantastic. She is incredibly strong and the after pains didn't last too long. Maria is feeding well and looking about. She reminds both of us of my mum.

Sad to say I'm writing this having just watched England lose in Russia and it's tempting to say it's been a good day all round. Mind you, Scotland haven't lost yet - that is more than likely given our history of glorious or inglorious failure.

No comments:

Lyme Regis trip

Alison's birthday celebrations continued with a weekend away at a cottage near Lyme Regis where we spent a couple of nights with Julie a...