Thursday, July 19, 2007

Another defeat

There was a time as a Labour supporting Plymouth Argyle fan from Scotland that I thought I was destined to support all manner of losing causes. In recent years the trend has been bucked with promotion for Plymouth to the Championship and Tony Blair winning three elections. Even Scotland are playing quite well these days.
However, there is another disturbing trend taking shape today.
Iscape - defeat after defeat
Verwood - defeat after defeat
and now Oakland is to be no more following the cabinet decision this evening.

We had a staff wellbeing day at BAT Sports and had a great time, well I did anyway. Nice gentle game of cricket which was good because the others couldn't play. So at least I know how our opposition feel each Saturday but the best thing was playing tennis. I had a couple of games of doubles lasting almost three hours in total. Haven't played for years and years so it was good to get the feel of the game pretty quickly and hit some half decent shots amongst the usual dross.

Sadly it was then time to go along to the council for the scrutiny meeting preceding cabinet and what a waste of two hours that was All the same arguments and the same inevitability about the decision. The guy making the decision has had a charisma bypass, his own party despise him and he couldn't even answer the simple questions put to him by his colleagues let alone the more probing ones from the other parties. He was flanked by two Local Authority representatives who are equally devoid of character and speak with the verve of Steve Davis long before he became interesting. It was hopeless. And don't get me started on the Liberal Democrats!!!!!

I guess a qualification for election must be that you have no life, no interests and no intellect. All the Liberals and Tories have those qualifications in abundance. The only person with any knowledge was the Labour chair. Now I know I am biased but it is true, the rest were difficult to distinguish as human beings let alone intelligent ones.

So in the end the decision is to go for two academies, I'm looking for a new school and if you want to know who to back, let me tell you who I am backing and then go for the opposite.

What a way to start the holidays. And the rain's started. Could it get any worse?

Bring on football and a hopeless ref, Dougie, I'm in the mood for it.

No comments:

Digging for the harvesting

I was completely wiped out after yesterday's exertions with a run, dog walks and then a few hours at W allotment digging over beds ready...