Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Catch up time

It's been a while, so here are the main things that have been happening over the past couple of weeks.

    1. Verwood lost to Bournemouth at cricket - not so much lost as got anhilated. They scored 240 odd on a blisteringly hot afternoon although I was pleased with my performance in the context of the game, 2 for 5o off 12 overs. We replied with a paltry 140 including a painstaking 2 from me. I sometimes wish I would go out and just smack the ball around rather than have to block an end to avoid losing wickets. It wasn't to any avail. They go second above us.
    2. I got ill and am still suffering. I thought there was no game last Monday and did not go only to find out we (Thirty Plus) had lost 9 - 4 in a cup game. No idea who scored yet. I was too ill to play anyway.
    3. I missed cricket this weekend with nasty cough and chest infection. Losing my voice and feeling pretty terrible. It was against the league leaders and was important but in the event, thunderstorms put paid to the game.
    4. I missed the staff do on the last Tueday of term due to illness but kept going during the day. This included a marathon 6 hours in the beer garden at Chessington last Thursday as I supervised 40+ students from school at the park. They had a great day as the crowds had really gone to Thorpe Park. They got lots of rides and were brilliantly behaved. Despite the length of stay, only one pint of lager touched my lips as I stuck with coke and plenty of ice. I learnt my lesson the day our kids got stuck on Ramases' Revenge one year. I am getting far more responsible. Ended the day going on the Vampire Ride and Bubble Works where I soaked one of the students who had threatened to get me wet - they don't know the meaning of the word wet until they've been on there with me. This year I did not get told off for swapping boats or messing about too much.
    5. I got John Peel's biography from the Head to read over the summer and a bottle of whisky from one of the Year Leaders along with some lovely cards from the kids. The prom went fine apart from number of ex students and present ones who had been barred from going, turning up with a load of drink in the case of the ex pupils, and completely off their heads with joints in the case of the others. I spent most of the evening out with them ensuring no trouble was caused. It was better than standing around in the disco and we caught up on old times before they dispersed.
    6. I spent the weekend in bed feeling ill and coughing. Worried that I was not going to be able to make it to Rome. My first time abroad after all these years. It's exciting to have a passport at last.
I think that's about it. There'll be plenty of photos from Rome coming this way soon - hopefully not from my sickbed in the hotel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope you feel better soon mate. just started the Peel book myself, amusing so far, i'll think you'll enjoy.

Euro tour

Our little trek round Europe is taking shape and is coming ever closer. This is for Maria and Lily to have an adventure after Maria's GC...