Thursday, April 11, 2024

Cycling and allotment(ing)






There are photos from W allotment sandwiched between those from Potterne Lake which I took during a short break in my ride down to Moors Valley and back this morning. The lake is largely empty of birds now with them having departed largely to their breeding grounds but there were plenty of brids singing in the bushes and trees surrounding the water. Nice to see greenfinch about, perhaps an indication of their population beginning to bounce back a little after the virus which killed so many in recent years.

Follwoing Juno's long walk, I drove to the allotment and spent a good few hours getting to grips with things. I mowed the paths and did a bit of strimming before digging over one of the beds which has been neglected and is covered with strawberry plants and couch grass, the latter being a real pain. I'm going to use that one for potatoes, main crop, in a few weeks when I can have a go at weeding again.

The larger bed I tackled is now nice and ready for turning over and I have so many seedlings waiting to go in, it can't come soon enough. I also made a start to clearing the rubbish from the plot with a trip to the dump booked for tomorrow. There was also a bit of time to edge the beds making maintenance easier and reducing the little overhangs which pests hide in before tucking into the seedlings.

You will see the autumn broad beans well in flower now and the garlic is also doing well. 

No comments:

Euro tour

Our little trek round Europe is taking shape and is coming ever closer. This is for Maria and Lily to have an adventure after Maria's GC...