Thursday, June 15, 2023

Phew! It’s hot but lovely.

 










It was another warm night but I managed some sleep before heading off to the golf course with Juno for our morning walk which was quickly followed by another at 9 in an attempt to beat the heat which isn't really good for Juno. She seems to pay no attention to it being hot as her instincts kick in and she tears about until she begins the walk home and starts to pant frantically.

With all the jobs done, Joy and I headed to Bournemouth for a bit of time at the beach. It was a surprise to me to hear that she had never, not once, even had a paddle in the sea. She's 89 and I know there was a war on when she was between 5 and 11 and her psoriasis, but even so. What about with her children? I guess it explains why Alison had such a morbid fear of water. Anyhow, I managed to get her paddling! Off came the shoes and socks and, holding on to me, she traversed the hot sand to the edge of the water. Imagine experiencing that for the first time at 89. She found it cold! I wasn't able to let go of her, as she was pretty scared, especially of falling, and her dress was lifted up in case of a rogue tidal wave appearing and making it wet. Despite her fear and caution, she did it and enjoyed it too. Having got her first pair of sunglasses last week, paddling this week, look out for skydiving next.

I was straight off to the allotment at Wimborne next, mowing the paths before Maria finished school and then watering the seedlings as best I could. There are plenty of flowers on the runner beans now, the broad beans look ready for picking and the tomatoes are in flower. The garlic is just about ready for harvesting with the foliage dying back which is also true of the early potatoes which could be up in a fortnight. Plenty to come over the next months.

The new awning was easy enough to put up in practice yesterday and I am going to pack tonight before getting groceries ahead of driving the motorhome to the festival tomorrow. 

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...