Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Winter walk



 And so it goes on. Awake and up at 6 and off into the dark, Juno and I took ourselves off before breakfast and noticed a thawing underway, the hard frosts of recent days absent now. Having got the children off to school, we were soon joined by Gill, the second of two 'nurses' coming in to help with Joy for her first visit and she took charge of Joy's breakfast leaving me to crack on with the jobs for the day, starting with lentil soup for lunch.

I did some bird feeding but brought several feeders in for cleaning, as leaving them dirty becomes dangerous for the birds after a while due to the viruses harboured in amongst the much. That is why greenfinches for example have been in decline, so it is suggested (trichomonosos). It took a while but they are looking a lot better now.

There was time to get the potatoes out for chitting and they'll be left for a few weeks to get some shoots sprouted, speeding up the growing process. 

Juno and I wnet into the woods for our next walk and listened to Audible before I uploaded more documents to the history website and got in touch with the Bournemouth Echo and Radio Solent with press releases plus photos promoting the village hall. We'll see if that brings any response. I was also in touch with a local carpenter regarding work required on the village hall stage and storage, as well as a local school about the children Maypole Dancing at the hall on May Day. The leadership team are going to discuss it, so it may be possible.

Having had lunch, I was off to Morrisons next for some shopping and then had a chat with Glen about the festival with follow up emails about it to local schools and to ticket buyers. It's nice to be able to help out and I have already written the school email to be sent. Ticket sales have started to pick up again and all is looking good.

It really was a lovely afternoon so Juno and did a 3 mile walk before I started on the tea. It was a treat to get out for so long and lifts the spirits. It was toad in the hole for tea with homemade chips and veg, something Maria loves and another episode of US Traitors whilst we ate.

Joy is doing well, certainly compared to where she was. However, her diary is driving me crazy sometimes. She keeps asking what day it is and then reading through the next few entries before asking the date and reading the next few entries and then asking if I wouldn't mind telling her what day it is before reading through the next entries and so on. Distraction techniques are coming to the fore. Poor thing. 

She is now reading a book of poems and she keeps coming across the same ones which she reads aloud along with an explanation of having had to learn it by heart at school e.g. I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud and Who Killed Cock Robin. I wonder how long she would keep going with it. I'm typing this so am just half listening but I am expecting one of them again any moment. 

 

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...