Sunday, April 18, 2021

Woodlands Sutton Holms walk




Having made the Sunday dinner, it was lovely to get out for a walk this afternoon taking me just under 4 miles through Boys Wood and to the Remedy Oak pictured above. I had noticed a footpath sign here some time ago but this is the first time I have looked to discover where it leads.

There was a gate to walk through which was promising but the first part of this path was almost completely overgrown and I wandered all over the place trying to pick a way through the bracken, fallen trees and boggy ground. It was worth it when I noticed a snake slithering away from  my footsteps, just over a foot long at a guess. Boy, was it quick! I'd guess at a grass snake but I wouldn't know for sure given the speed at which it moved and the cover it was sliding through.

About half a mile in the path became perfectly fine with a couple more gates and proper signage which just made me wonder why the start was so poorly maintained. It led out into Sutton Holms where it switches direction completely to take you back into Boys Woods where I saw plenty of great tits, robins, a low flying buzzard and a swarm of bees about 15 feet up crawling over a scar running vertically along part of the trunk.


No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...