Monday, January 25, 2021

Walking in the moonlight





It was a very full moon in a clear sky last night and that prompted me to get out for a walk in the darkness without using a torch. We did this last summer with the children and I was reminded of it during Winterwatch when Chris Packham mentioned it.

It turned out the visibility was very good and I was in no dnager of losing my footing or stumbling into one of the many puddles that had been topped up by the melting snow. It was lovely and I was able to really listen to the calling of the tawny owls as the evening wore on. Having intended to walk just over a mile, I did double the distance and felt the benefit of walking in such a relaxed and solitary manner.

There were far more people about by the time I got my run done this morning, at least early on when I was running down to Verwood across Crane Valley golf course. I turned toward Horton Lane and up to the gravel pits where I didn't see anyone at all, just a few sheep in amongst the final vestiges of the snow from Sunday. It was certainly a beautiful sunny day but cold again, -2C on the school run.

I am now 38 activities completed in the 57 things to do over the course of the year from my birthday in May. I did get to do a little snowball fight with the children yesterday, quite unexpectedly to be honest. There are some fairly straightforward ones to go but others are looking unlikely due to the Covid restrictions.

Paddleboarding - possible I guess, in May though when it is warmer
Beach clean up - easy enough, although I could argue I have done loads of local litter picks
Play boule on the beach in the rain - another fairly straightforward one
Go on Go Ape - unlikely. Covid restrictions mean it is closed
Watch a ballet - I am watching one on record - The Red Shoes
Visit an RSPB reserve - easy enough if the travel restrictions are lifted
Swimming at Tinside - no chance now
Run/walk/crawl a marathon - should be ok
Swim a mile - no chance now I have given up gym membership which included pool access
Visit the Russell Cotes Museum - easy if it re-opens
Do Junior Parkrun in different locations - not running due to Covid (pun not intended)
Watch Plymouth Argyle home and away - not going to happen
Share a Sunday afternoon cream tea - I can get this one done
Have a yes day- say yes to everything - I can get this one done
Make my way home - I can get this one done although I am not sure how to organise it
A day with no phone - I can get this one done
Sing a song of someone else’s choice - easy enough
Spend a day in fancy dress for no reason - should be a fun thing to do

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...