Thursday, August 23, 2018

Wednesday 22nd August

I was very pleased with my afternoon run given the pace for the 5 miles. I was struggling to get to around 9 min miles for a 5km run, so to be there for the longer distance is very pleasing. Part of the reason is I am now running a warm up first, a gentle half mile run to loosen things up a little and that means I get underway more quickly in the actual run. That would be in keeping with the fact I often have positive splits i.e. each mile is quicker than the last. I take some time to get warmed up and going - true in so many ways.

It was nice to be able to cook again with a vegan roast the order of the day. Lentils, cashews, walnuts and breadcrumbs gave a lovely moist roast to go with the potatoes, peas, roast carrots and courgette. Onion gravy to top it off. Lovely.

I experimented with a mango for a salad tea, couscous, cucumber and tomato also added.

The car went in for checking after the long term pinking or knocking sound became a worry with the trip to Cornwall next week. I was pleased it turned out to be a caliper sticking to the brake pad and therefore a good deal easier to resolve than feared.

Also underway yesterday was the bramble attack. Our front hedge shared with next door is very old but it is largely bramble these days and I started clearing the huge stems which is freeing up space for the other plants to inhabit. It does look much more bare and we'll see  how it progresses into the spring. If nothing else though, it makes hedge cutting much easier and less perforating.

Maria has her new school gear all ready now, as does Joseph which means we can focus on enjoying the last fortnight of the break. In fact, less than that now. However, I shall not be returning for the first time in 25 years, PGCE included.

No comments:

Ragwormers play Teddy Rocks

I think I have been slightly overdoing all the exercise and allotmenting lately and that culminated in feeling so physically tired on Friday...