Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Calshot












I took a party of 17 Year 11 students to Calshot Activities Centre the weekend before last and we had a great time. I was able to participate in the activities apart from the high ropes which was more of a team building exercise but was glad to sit it out as they had to work so hard to make it to the ceiling using just 4 poles strung across wires and they were spaced so far apart they had to work together to find a way of helping each other climb upwards. Several of the girls were in tears half way up and terrified but they kept going and made it all the way.
I enjoyed the climb but it was beginners stuff of course. Nevertheless I got some idea of just how hard you have to work to move forward. Some of the climbs were ridiculous with over-hanging sections where the only holds were finger holds. I was amazed how they could cling on to such precarious holds.
The archery was good and I was able to do that pretty well, winning the competition although I wasn't counted as far as the kids were concerned. I managed maximums virtually every time but as good as I was at that, skiing was another matter.
The pictures don't suggest it but I was horizontal most of the time and can testify it doesn't hurt when you fall as I had lots of practice. I was hopeless and then you see these little kids effortlessly gliding down looking so cool. Face first doesn't look cool. Again I was amazed at what hard work it was with simply walking up the slope being a real effort with the boots and skis on.
I'd love to do it again though.
I'll be doing this trip again without question. It was a great place with lots to do and nothing for miles around which meant the students stayed put and behaved well throughout.


No comments:

Allotment day again

With Maria needing picking up from school and then being at dance for an hour and a half, I took the chance to visit both allotments yesterd...