Monday, November 24, 2008

Still ill

Having spent a miserable weekend which was meant to include a day off in lieu for training hours earlier in the term, I decided it was time to visit the GP. He was rushed off his feet and was able to spare me enough time to blow into a tube and to listen to my chest before pronouncing confidently that I was suffering from Bronchial Hyper Reactivity which apparently means things are irritating my lungs and causing me to cough. I'd noticed the cough myself to be honest and thought it might well be to do with the irritation I was experiencing so it was good to have this confirmed.

It is wonderful what a medical training does for us. I remembered back to when my nose was broken and all the blood that didn't spread in a pool on the astroturf spilt over my white shirt. The doctor then was able to tell me I'd been bleeding from the nose. I was concussed which is why he may have felt it best to tell me the fairly obvious.

I am able to surmise that should I ever go in with one of my fingers wrapped in ice having had it severed in a freak farming accident, the doctor would be certain to point out I'd definitely cut myself somewhere in the vicinity of my hand.

It is more likely the GPs are simply bored with having to see people like me at this time of year with coughs and sneezes they can't do anything about and provide a placebo which keeps the economy moving as we shell out for unnecessary medication. In my case I have gone for some good old steroids which ought to give me a boost.

On the other hand what better time to stop smoking than when you can't inhale deeply enough to take a draw properly?

No comments:

Euro tour

Our little trek round Europe is taking shape and is coming ever closer. This is for Maria and Lily to have an adventure after Maria's GC...