Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Super Kevin Sets Up WIN

Iscape romped to their biggest victory of the season in the final game with a 7 - 1 win against bottom of the league opposition. The game started on a white flecked all weather surface following snow moments before our game started and with a make shift side in the absence of Matt C, Matt I and Dom.

Congratulations to Matt and Lucy on the birth of Phoebe on Tuesday morning.

The main issue to be resolved was that of top goal scorer and it was a race which went down to the wire.

We started well with a goal almost straight from kick off. I passed to Dave who finished well into the far corner. That pass was reciprocated moments later as Dave freed me in the area with a simple right footed finish to the near corner. The match was shortened due to lateness with the floodlights going off at 10.15 no matter what happened. Turning round, we scored a few more goals fairly easily in the second half with a shot from me saved but being turned in from an acute angle by Kev, revelling in his midfield role. It was Dave's turn to score next and to put himself in the lead with minutes to go. His tally of 10 was a more than respectable return from midfield, although the last two games saw him up front. Pete, Matt's brother guesting for the team, finished off a flowing move with aplomb and leave Dougie as the only outfield player without a goal (apart from Matt I and another guest player).

The oppoisition had scored by this stage having been allowed something like 5 shots, one after another, a threadbare defence. Poor Hen performed heroics to keep the ball out but it was forced home finally.

Moments to go meant the season was almost over but I received the ball in the area and juggled it on my right foot before cutting inside and curling a LEFT footed strike into the far corner. It was a carbon copy of Italy's goal in the World Cup Semi Final and no less important.

With our last attack Kev was brutally fouled but had the presence of mind to take a quick free kick. I was in the box with the keeper bearing down on me thanks to the excellence of Kev's pass, awareness and wonderful leadership (he asked me for a good write up). His quick thinking meant Dave couldn't quite make it over to me to hack me down and prevent a winning goal.

I eased the ball to one side and left the keeper sprawling. Left foot back, I evaded a lunging tackle from a defender and tantalisingly slid the ball goalward. Dave collapsed to the ground in tears and beat the surface with his gloved fists. He was inconsolable and cried in defeat, making my victory all the sweeter.

And to think I owe it all to Kevin the Magnificent.

I'm sorry to say that the goals are accounted for, Paul, apart from the fact that last week's game was recorded as 4 goals not 5 and we therefore have one goal extra (from Dave I'm sure).

Hen Nick Pete 1 Kev 1 Dougie Dave 2 Iain 3

The final standings for the season are: -

Played 11 Won 4 Drawn 1 Lost 6 For 32 (33 really) Against 38 Diff -6 Points13

Leaving us 7th out of 12 teams.

The goals scored reads as follows: -

PETE 1 DOM 1 MATT C 4 KEV 6 DAVE 10 IAIN 11

Dave did score three own goals as well.


In the way of celebration I got breathalysed on the way home as well. When I say on the way home I mean just as I left the pub car park. The policeman said I'd approached the exit to the pub too fast causing him to break as he travelled along the road.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and... and....


man what a cliffhanger to leave us on!!!!!!

arn said...

losing tonight?

Allotment day again

With Maria needing picking up from school and then being at dance for an hour and a half, I took the chance to visit both allotments yesterd...