Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Verwood win magnificently

Having lost narrowly the week before, it was vital we won on Saturday which we duly did with possibly our best performance of the season, one in which I did not bat and I did not bowl. Could that be the secret to success?

I'd just got back half an hour earlier from the walk along the Devon coast and was happy to simply wait around for the afternoon in the time honoured tradition of cricket all over the world.

We were put into bat and scored our highest innings for a couple of years ending up at 234 for 8 from 42 overs. Nick top scored with a whirlwind 92 and John got another 50 while Nigel hit 40+. I was meant to go into bat but declined thus allowing others to grab the glory. I was also meant to bowl but again, given the comfort with which we were winning, declined, giving young Michael, in his first competitive match, the chance to bowl. He took a wicket with his first ball as the delivery took the outside edge and flew to slip. I lunged forward (perhaps more of a fall) and pouched the catch, my only real contribution all game.

My legs were grateful not to have had to move much for a few hours and we ended up winning by over 100 runs with Dan the pick of the bowlers taking 4 for 52.

Only two games to go now and two wins would guarantee promotion to the seond division of the New Forest League. I am not sure how we would fare as the standard rises quickly as we found when promoted last year and struggling for the first half of the season. It would be fun finding out though and we all like a challenge.

No comments:

Digging for the harvesting

I was completely wiped out after yesterday's exertions with a run, dog walks and then a few hours at W allotment digging over beds ready...