Thursday, August 17, 2006

South Devon Walk Day 2






Tuesday was the first day of actual walking and we were fortunate enough to enjoy some fantastic sunshine as we set out. The picture above shows Ali, Jane and Sandra waiting for the Mountbatten ferry to take us from the Barbican followed by a photo of four of the intrepid walkers on the ferry itself. We were quickly underway after that and covered the two miles that took us in line with Plymouth Breakwater which is shown in the first photo.

http://www.plymouthdata.info/Breakwater.htm

There is a picture of Alison making her way across the footpath leading to Bovisand where Keith, Sandra and myself had a swim.

http://www.lotstodo.co.uk/beaches-detail-a8.asp?area=8&beachserial=23 Bovisand beach

Unfortunately for me I stood on a weaver fish as I came out of the water. I knew what had happened straight away this time having stood on one at Bournemouth beach last summer. It was very painful and I hobbled up to a cafe a few hundred yards away and spent the next 30 minutes with my foot in a bucket of very hot water to draw the sting out. I did get a free cup of coffee and was very pleased when the woman in the car park told everyone how she had seen grown men cry with the pain and how brave I was! I wasn't sure how able to walk on I'd be but being such a brave soul I decided to press on. I'm looking for sympathy here lol.

The crowded beach scene is from Wembury where we stopped for lunch. The beach lends itself to the football chant at Argyle where they sing Wembury, Wembury. We're the famous Plymouth Argyle and we're off to Wembury. This is instead of Wembley and is a far more realistic proposition.

By the end of the day we had covered 7 miles which was just a taster of things to come.

No comments:

Digging for the harvesting

I was completely wiped out after yesterday's exertions with a run, dog walks and then a few hours at W allotment digging over beds ready...