Monday, May 15, 2006

Football fantasy, cricket catastrophe

A mixed Saturday as far as sport was concerned for the family. Lets do the good stuff first.

Glen's presentation evening was fantastic as he came home with 3 trophies and a medal following Rossgarth's successful season in which they achieved back to back promotion, just missing out on the league with defeat in the last game. The runners up spot meant all the boys received a medal and trophy which would have been enough but Glen was also awarded trophies for most improved player and players' player of the year. He was so excited and pleased he could barely sleep after the presentations and I feel very proud of him especially given his relatively late start with the team.

Sadly I missed the actual presentation as I was playing in my first game of cricket of the season for Verwood. Having won the opening game the previous week, the team was fairly confident although we were missing 4 frontline bowlers. We played down at Mudeford and I had to captain in Dan's absence. I am afraid the bowling was initially unthreatening except to the wicketkeeper and Chris down at fine leg as the ball was sprayed about all over the place. We gave away 40 extras! They finished on 172 all out with Ali taking 3 for 48, Adam 3 for 52 and myself 4 for 22 off 12 overs.

Our innings got off to a very poor start with the board reading 10 for 3 after a few overs. That meant the going became very slow and we never looked like recovering despite 36 from Mark and 33 from Steve. In the end we lost by 40 runs, the number of extras which essentially provided a 12th man for the opposition.

Now it's Monday and I am suffering from the effects of bowling for the first time since August as I ache all down the right side. If only it was because of the sheer pace I generated but I am getting even slower!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done to glen!!! xxx love roxanne xx

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Allotment day again

With Maria needing picking up from school and then being at dance for an hour and a half, I took the chance to visit both allotments yesterd...