Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Thirty Plus win again

Following the encouraging signs of the previous week, we managed to build on our success with a win over the second placed team with goals from the two Matts enough to see off a spirited comeback from the opposition who scored with seven minutes remaining.

On balance we could have gone on to score more but it was a good all round performance and an interesting one with fresh impetus arising from the new formation. The two Doms played at the back and defended solidly throughout and the chances created against us were few and far between. Certainly there were no clear cut opportunities. In midfield Matt scored the opener with a quick bit of thinking as the keeper spilled the ball from a free kick. I have to report that the free kick was a fizzer full of venom and guile and not a simple shot which the keeper should have held onto easily. Whether or not I have to report the truth is another matter but I know Dave would want it to go down as a vicious shot.

The second came from a cross met with a deft header from Matt C. Idon't recall too many headed goals from Matt in the past putting this in the Trevor Brooking category 1980 Cup Final against Arsenal.

There were several other chances and an outbreak of passing, resulting in creative football the like of which we've not seen for a while. A good evening all round. With games against the bottom two sides to come, this is probably the last win for a while as we seem to play to the standard of the opposition . It would be nice to think we'd end with two more wins and just avoid promotion. No one wants the effort of having to play a better standard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like tactical changes have worked for the better.



'I've learned more than you'll ever know
Even at school I feld quite sure
That one day I would be on top
And I'd look down upon the map
The teachers who said I'd be nothing -
This is the modern world, that I've learnt about
This is the modern world, we don't need no one'

sammypafc said...

I would prefer to believe my return to the team has had something to do with it but I would be wrong.

Jam down town

Euro tour

Our little trek round Europe is taking shape and is coming ever closer. This is for Maria and Lily to have an adventure after Maria's GC...