Sunday, January 15, 2006

Potterne Lake







You will see from the photos that the walk from Potterne to Moors Valley while Glen was at football training was full of wildlife. The kestrel was about on both the outward and return journey as was a buzzard which I didn't get a picture of. The swans were with four juveniles from last year's brood I imagine. They were relaxed and didn't come at me even when I was right at the edge of the lake. A couple of moorhens were about and feeding amongst the mallards and a flock of about 70 canada geese. Along with them were a few goosanders, a species I had not seen before. At the very back of the lake was a heron stalking the margins but most interesting was the flocking together of the geese at the edge of the lake. I wondered what they were all being drawn to and noticed emerging from the scrub a healthy looking fox. I got a few photos of it and it certainly noticed the flash going off. It looked over for a few seocnds before continuing on its patrol leaving the geese to spread out again.

No comments:

Euro tour

Our little trek round Europe is taking shape and is coming ever closer. This is for Maria and Lily to have an adventure after Maria's GC...