Thursday, June 02, 2005

Beaulieu

Glen and I spent most of Weds afternoon watching the weather as it had rained almost all day and there was a midweek game of cricket scheduled for 6.30. It being half term meant I could play for once and the rain looked likely to spoil things. As it turned out the all weather pitch was fine and the rain had stopped in mid afternoon. Glen considers himself the team mascot and was determined that he would not miss out on a trip to Bransgore and a possible first win.

On my part, after three defeats with him watching I was hoping he’d stay at home! However, the match was very exciting, at least at the end when with two four needed off the last ball Dan skied the ball upwards which is generally the direction of the sky. He and John raced a single but the umpire called no ball! We hadn’t expected that. It gave another run along with the single to leave us needing one to draw and two to win. John thumped a shot to the off side and the fielder fumbled in the gloom leaving both players safely home for two runs. What a game, especially as I had taken 4 for 14 in my four overs.

Today has seen myself, Glen and Robin visiting Beaulieu. This was a trip meant for last summer but cancelled due to rain. Not being much a fan of cars I wasn’t sure about the trip in some ways but it turned out great. The cars were interesting with some famous ones alongside the various models of development. Glen’s pictured alongside Mr Bean’s mini and the Lady Penelope car from Thunderbirds. Nearby is the three-wheeler belonging to the Trotter’s. It’s strange how these people take on a sense of reality. I should say it was one of the props from the series.

Alongside these were several examples of formula one cars and land speed record holders. All very interesting. The monorail gave a great view of the estate and some lovely pictures. The house or is it a castle, is impressive but most pleasing of all was the fact that so much of the grounds had been given over to meadow which was full of clover and buttercups. It looked stunning.

Tomorrow sees Glen and I off to Paignton Zoo to meet with my sisters from Plymouth. I hope to get lots of pictures to share and post.

No comments:

Allotment day again

With Maria needing picking up from school and then being at dance for an hour and a half, I took the chance to visit both allotments yesterd...