Sunday, May 26, 2024

Hitting half term












It has been a busy week again with plenty of time at the allotments, including this morning when I put some guttering up on the shed in order to collect the rainwater and save myself the trek back and forth to the water pump at the far end of the allotment in Wimborne. It won't provide for all my needs but it will help.

Yesterday I had a lovely bike ride into the local countryside and stopped for a few minutes to look out across the fields away towards Knowlton Church. I heard my first cuckoo of the year and followed 6 buzzards spread out over the skies through the binoculars. There was also a red kite doing the rounds, providing a really good opportunity to note the differences between the two. 

I was also fortunate in being able to spot at least 4 hares in the fields in the distance before turning to see one not far from me, near the farm and hopping closer. With it being warm and still, it was a real pleasure to simply stop and stare.

It wasn't the first bike ride of the week. I'd been out to Edmondsham and Wimborne St Giles, stopping to take a couple of photos, including the ruins at Knowlton Church. I was taken by surprise when my pedal came off on the right side and had to get a lift back home for the final two miles. It's back in now but I will be keeping an eye on it.

The allotment is starting to really take off and Alison and I spent a bit more time there together, as well as walking beside the Stour before having a bit of lunch and a walk round the Minster, the first time I have been inside despite being in the area for forty years!

There was also a trip to Glen's where the bees were being removed again, huge swarms of them having placed themselves under the guttering. We were actually meeting to speak with the various managers ahead of Ragcity and ticket sales are over 20% up on last year's record. Hoping for a good week of sales during half term.

The other exciting development is the calling of the election. Cannot wait and we are already planning a July 4th party to celebrate a huge change in our outlook. It would be devastating to see the polls not translated into votes. I don't think I could cope.

No comments:

Sunshine at last

What a lovely morning to wake up to today, not long after the longest day. I am just back from a bike ride to Horton and on to Knowlton Chur...